Thursday, April 05, 2007

Greatest Rapper Alive?


Weezy F
Originally uploaded by hattie collins.
C'mon of course he's not.

But is Wayne about the most prolific, charismatic, entertaining, creative, witty and weird mo'fo out right now?

Hell yeah. Check out his new mixtape, The Drought. I mean, the fact he has various remixes out (most notably DJ 'Liiiiisten' Khaled's We Takin' Over) and Dedication 3 plus The Carter 3 due in like two days, but still this crazy tattooed little man drops Drought. Why? Cos he can.

Yeah, so he doesn't always make sense, his rhymes are occasionally nonsense and his arrogance over-the-top, but right now when I need to listen, really listen, to some shit I know I'm going to like, I reach for Weezy F Baby.

Fucked up flow, nasal cadence, insane rhyme schemes and absurdist lyricism all equals, for my money, a great MC.

Bet Jay-Z is pissed that he didn't get Wayne to sign on the dotted two years back. Now there would have been a Def Jam signing that night have made him some actual scrilla.

I just wish Wayne would head to UK sometime soon. I need to see this dude live. And soon.

'Even in the dungeon I glow, Even if it ain't sunny I blow, Even if it it ain't about money I go..nowhere I'm nailed to the floor." (Shoulder Lean freestyle) (Chosen totally at random, btw, just an as example of that Wayne-ness. Let make this shit a verb. To Wayne. To be Wayned).

No comments: