Sunday, April 01, 2007

Make Way For Mutya


Suga Free
Originally uploaded by hattie collins.
So I went to the ex-Sugababe's showcase on Friday and damn, if it wasn't biggity big. I'm already a big fan of the five-track sampler that they've serviced to press, but I wasn't sure how the live act would go. Minus two other chicks either side of you and add a room full of cynical journalists and radio/ TV programmers and the whole thing could be a nerve-wracking affair.
Thankfully, Mutts stormed it. Looking real purtttyy and very slim, her vocal did the talking, if nothing else (she didn't even say 'goodbye' before she left). The lack of talking in-bettwen songs didn't hurt though - journo's from The Guardian, Attitude to iD were feeling her, hard!
The Lenny Kravitz-flavoured single Real Girl is a hit in waiting, and Groove Armada' s Song 4 Mutya is just so damn hot. Suffer For Love and B-Boy Baby (ft Amy Winehouse) are big too.
I really hope this girl does good. Her voice is gorg, the songs fab and in interview, she's got something to say! Watch for a big feature by yours truly hitting a stylish title near you soon, in the meantime, here's a little taster from our recent talk. You can find the whole thing in the latest issue of RWD - if you can still get it, that is! If not, watch for that certain style mag, out in about a week.

-------------

“I grew up in a three bedroom flat in North London. There’d be my four brothers in one bedroom, two sisters in another bedroom, me in mine and my mom and dad in the living room. But every room had it’s own music going on. My mom loves her rock and old reggae and soul. My brothers were into their hip hop, jungle, drum and bass and UK garage and I was really into bashment, R&B and slow jamz. It was like going into a rave with different rooms! I think growing up and listening to all types of music has been a blessings, it’s opened my mind.
With my new solo album Real Girl, I wanted to create my own sound. I feel like I don’t have to do R&B, just because I grew up with it. To me, it’s great that I can put my vocals on a pop track and it won’t sound too pop or too R&B, because then I can put my voice on a rock track too. I think it’s a blessing. The album’s got a bit of a mixture of everything; the George Michael song is on there obviously, then there’s an ‘80s/ funky house track that Groove Armada did – they even got me to MC on it! Well, it’s more me talking really cos I said to them ‘I don’t rap, I sing!’
I’ve got a song called B-Boy Baby by Salaam Remi and Amy Winehouse, who I love, and it samples Be My Baby from Dirty Dancing. I wanted to make this record more vocal-based and raw-sounding. I didn’t want it to be too perfected, which is kinda how we did it before with the Sugababes, and I liked that. I know everyone probably still associates me with them, but it’s been over a year since I left and I’ve moved on. To be honest, I suffered from post-natal depression after my daughter, Tahlia was born and that was part of me wanting to leave the group.
Everything became a downer and I just couldn’t be bothered. Even watching Hollyoaks, I’d start crying. Come on, who cries at Hollyoaks? But it did get to the point where I couldn’t take anymore and it was horrible. All you know is that you feel down and you want to cry all the time or go mad. Then the littlest things would start getting to me and I’d get hot and bothered and I ‘d want to kill someone. It did get really annoying. Then my daughter got ill and I had to do a show. I’m breastfeeding so there’s nothing you can really do if you’re breastfeeding and your daughters not well, apart from feed her and be there.
So I think when those things started happening, people started getting frustrated with me cos I was saying I couldn’t go to work because my two-month year old daughter was ill. I told people that I wouldn’t choose between my daughter and work, because there’s no way I would choose work. My daughter could get ill and then I’m going to have to kill everyone else afterwards, if anything happens to her. It’s simple. But I don’t think the girls could relate to that…I’ve got no issues with them now, but that’s where we clashed because I couldn’t explain to them.
I had to say to my managers, ‘I have to leave before I hurt myself. What you lot don’t realise is that I can’t take anymore pressure from everyone moaning at me.’
Me and Heidi haven’t spoken since I left....

Check MySpace.com/Mutya1. The single/ album are out April/ May respectively

No comments: