Monday, February 11, 2008

Shh Huhh Yuh Lip...


Natalie Cole needs to hush her gummage.

And I quote:

“I'm going on record as an artist who is able to critique [Amy Winehouse]. I think she has a great talent, but I don't agree with the Grammys giving her those nods. I think it sends the wrong message, that even in the midst of her stupor of drugs she can get nominated for all these awards. It's a slap in the face to musicians and artists who work very hard that they turn around and give it to someone who really obviously doesn't have a grasp of what she has. I've been in this business over 25 years and I sacrificed five years of my own life on drugs and almost lost my life because of it. So I take great offense to almost see someone getting glory out of being in the position that they're in – she needs to get her life together and embrace her craft, she will lose it if she doesn't get it together.”

Yeah, Amy doing drugs is not good, but come on, she isn't a fricking paedophile, murderer, rapist or tealeaf (Ok, she might be a tealeaf, I hear crackity crack can do that to a person). But she's not hurting anyone (besides herself and admittedly her close friends and family), she's currently getting treatment and since when did a record get judged on the artists' personal life? Is it a good record? Yes, it fricking is, it's rightly been judged, in my opinion, the best album of the year. If she's shooting pigeon poo through her left toe while I write this, who cares? It's still a great record.

Total Guff McGuffins. Especially as Natalie herself says she went through a drug problem, it seems a bizarre stance to take.

Ok, I'll get off the soapbox...

No comments: