Wednesday, October 14, 2009

50: VH1 Behind The Music


Features Em, 50'S grandpops and Fif himself.

Hearing the old mixtapes makes me remember how much I LOVED 50 back when. Russell and Ben played us Guess Who's Back at the Touch office, I think it was 2003, right around Wanksta. I interviewed him on the phone shortly after, his very first UK interview (or so he told me!) and I couldn't believe how deep he went. He talked about Irv Gotti, Ja, his shooting, Nas, Jam Master Jay, his original rap name Ferrari.... We were supposed to have 30 minutes, it ended up being about an hour and a half. You can imagine how gutted I was when I realised only about 10 minutes of the interview taped.

TECHNOLOGY I HATE YOU!!!

These days I find 50 less likable as an MC, but Get Rich remains an incredible album, and you can't deny the sheer impact with which he entered the game. He. Didn't. Give. A. Fuck.

In fact, I'm about to draw for Guess Who's Back. So many tunes... Rotten apple, U Not LIke Me, Too Hot, Fuck You, Life's Ont He Line, Ghetto Qu'Ran, A The Wold Turns...

No comments: